I love trying and buying new foundations because I always like having a selection to choose from. I know there are some days I want sheerer coverage, a more matte finish or even just a darker or lighter shade so I try to keep my bases covered. Being the foundation junkie I am, I decided I have to have Estee Lauder's Double Wear foundation in my life so I went down to my local counter to get colour matched.
As soon as I saw and felt this on my skin I fell in love with the formula because it seriously gives me airbrushed looking skin with minimal product. I always use a concealer but with this I don't need to and my skin still looks flawless! I also don't even need to set it because it dries to a beautiful natural matte finish. It has definitely become my number one foundation formulation followed closely by Diorskin Forever in second place.
The only problem I have with it is that I cannot find a perfect shade match in this foundation! Now this isn't a major issue for me because I'm a notorious foundation mixer. I'll gladly mix various shades and formulations of foundation as well as colour correctors to get my perfect shade but I just wish that this didn't often have to be necessary!
I've already posted about this before (check it out here) but I hate how much variation there is between the foundation colours I get colour matched to. Just to show you what I mean, here are different foundations that I have been matched to within the last year and how I mix and match them to get them to work for me. The first one, NARS Sheer Glow in Syracuse is my closest colour match.
1. NARS Sheer Glow in Syracuse (good match)
2. MAC Pro Longwear in NC42 (too yellow so I mix with a pink corrector)
3. NARS Sheer Glow in Barcelona (too light so I set it with a slightly darker powder)
4. Christian Dior Diorskin Forever in 040 Honey Beige (too pink and dark so I mix it with a lighter shade of Diorskin Nude and also add a yellow corrector)
5. Estee Lauder Double Wear in Bronze (5W1) (a bit too dark)
6. Estee Lauder Double Wear Light in Intensity 4 (good match)
7. Estee Lauder Double Wear in Shell Beige (4W1) (a shade too light)
8. Estee Lauder Double Wear in Soft Chestnut (5C1) (too dark and too pink)
9. NARS Sheer Matte in Barcelona (too light and too matte so I mix it with a darker, dewy finish foundation)
These next two photos are the same foundations in the same order as above but just taken in different light settings:
The Estee Lauder Double Wear Light in Intensity 4 is actually quite a close match so I think I'll be picking that up but in terms of the original formulation of Estee Lauder Double Wear, it looks like I'll have to buy both Bronze and Shell Beige and mix them in order to get the right colour. I know this seems like a lot of trouble to go to but I seriously love this foundation and I can see it'll be reaching HG status very quickly!
Do any of you have a high maintenance product that you don't mind putting in the effort for? I'd love to know so leave me a comment below. Also if you're a user of either Estee Lauder Double Wear or Double Wear Light, I'd love to hear what you think of them!